1. How many intakes are there each year? When does the year start? 

There is one intake every year. The foundation summer term for all HKUST students starts in end of July or early August at the HKUST campus.

2. What is the class size each year? 

The typical intake size is around 40 students for the first few intakes and this is expected to expand to about 50-60 within a few years.

3. What is the course length and how many class hours will it cover?

For a 2-credit course, there are a total of 28 contact hours. There is usually one class per week for each course and it takes 8 weeks (with the final week allotted for examination) to complete a course of 2 credits.

4. Is it possible to extend the length of my study?

We normally do not encourage students to extend their length of study. However, we do offer study extensions for students who cannot complete the program within the defined timeframe because of health reasons. All students must complete the whole program within 5 years.

5. Do I need a student visa for studying in Hong Kong?

Yes, students who do not have the right to reside in Hong Kong are required to apply for a student visa for entering into Hong Kong and studying on a full-time master degree program. The MSc Programs Office will coordinate with the Office of Postgraduate Studies to arrange student visas for all incoming students upon admission and prior to the commencement of the program. The duration of the student visa will cover the whole period of study in the program.



1. Will I be able to join any of the partner schools in your exchange program? 

The opportunity to undertake an exchange is guaranteed to all students but whether you can go to your preferred school depends on the number of spaces available. Those spaces vary year by year. If the demand for a specific partner school is more than the available exchange spaces, students are assessed in terms of their academic and personal qualities to match with partner schools. Students are advised to select a list of preferred exchange partner schools during application, and their exchange opportunity will be assigned according to their priority in the preference list.

2. Do I need to pay tuition fee at the exchange school? 

Students continue to pay HKUST tuition fee for the credits they take at exchange schools. Students have to take care of other expenses such as flights, accommodation and living expenses during the exchange. In some cases, the partner universities may require the exchange student to pay for the costs of participating the Block Seminar and some other course materials.

3. Do I need a student visa for the exchange?

Some locations require students to get a student visa for the exchange. Students are recommended to coordinate with the exchange school for the application of the student visa before the exchange term begins, if needed.

4. Is it possible to change my exchange preference? 

We give the liberty for students to pick their preferred exchange school only at the time of admissions, which is why we require students to prioritize the schools according to their preference. It is the students' responsibility to make sure that their listed choices are based on their evaluation of the schools and their priority of preference. Any changes of choices will not be entertained after submission and when exchange school is assigned.

5. When will I know the result of exchange? 

Exchange allocation will be processed and announced after the second phase of application. Applicants from the third phase of application will not have priority on exchange school selection, and exchange allocation will depend on the availability of exchange seats left after the first two phases. 

6. How did the Program Office allocate the exchange for students? 

The HKUST MIMT Program Office assigns the exchange opportunity by taking consideration from various aspects in order to widen students’ international exposure towards different cultures and communities, in which they might probably not have experienced before. The various aspects for careful consideration include the students’ holistic background, interview performance, preferred school term for exchange, students’ priority of exchange school in the preference list, overall student demand for particular exchange schools, available exchange slot in each school, etc..

Since CEMS advocates a balance of students going to each member school in each school term, there is only a limited number of seats in each school and in each term. Please note that some of the exchange schools are in extremely high demand, but there is no way to accommodate the request of all students to one school. If all the choices in the student’s preference list are already filled up by other students with better qualification/performance, the HKUST MIMT Program Office has no choice but to assign student to another CEMS school with available seats. We encourage students to apply as early as they can. 



1. Will I be able to get an internship during my study and how can I do this? 

Students are required to undertake an international internship after Term 2 (during summer) in which they work for a consecutive period of at least 8 weeks in one company outside their home country. Students are expected to play an active role in securing the internship which must be approved by the school before it starts. Internships can take place at a CEMS Corporate Partner, although this is not compulsory, or at a non-profit organisation.

2. Are there any career services that can help me to obtain an internship? 

In order to facilitate students’ entry into the world of work and help companies track down the right profiles for recruitment, the CEMS network provides a number of services. These include CEMS Career ForumCEMS Virtual Career FairCEMS Job Market and CEMS Student CV Database. Moreover, Students also benefit from free access to online career development platforms offering useful tips and information that help them best prepare for the early stages of their careers.

3. Can I take the internship in Hong Kong?

The main objective of the internship is to turn academic experience and theoretical knowledge into a professional, multi-cultural experience that enables students to integrate an organisation’s culture and processes. The location of international internship together with student’s home country, home school and exchange school must cover at least three countries. 

For local Hong Kong students enrolled in the program, their internships should take place outside Hong Kong. For non-local students from China, Asia, the Americas or Europe, their internships may take place in Hong Kong.

4. Do I need a work visa to do the internship?

Some locations require students to get a work visa in order to do an internship. Students are recommended to coordinate with the company which offers the internship for application of the work visa, if needed.

5. Is the Internship paid or unpaid?

It is up to individual employer's practice. Students should pay attention to the information provided in the internship description.



1. Do I need to submit all of the materials by the application deadline? 

Yes, you have to submit the online application form including personal statement, application fee, and copies of supporting documents by the application deadline in the Online Application System. Only copies of the supporting documents are required at the application stage. It is strongly recommended that applicants make use of the document uploading function on the online application platform to submit soft copies of documents.

The GMAT/GRE is always required for application and you are required to take TOEFL or IELTS unless your first language is English or your qualification is awarded by a university or an institute where the language of instruction is English. You are advised to have the test scores ready when you submit the application. Otherwise, please schedule your tests as early as possible and put your scheduled test date on the application. In any case, you should submit your scores within one month after the application deadline.

The MSc Programs Office will only process the application with completed set of supporting documents.

You are required to show the original documents and/or submit the certified true copies, with official imprint and signature, by the issuing authorities when you are being admitted to the program

2. I have already got 2 reference letters from my academic referee, is it acceptable? 

For the academic references, you are required to give us the name and the contact method of the referees in your online application. Once you have submitted your application, the system will send an invitation email to the referees directly asking them to fill out the references for you in the online application system. We highly recommend you to communicate with your academic referees for their earliest reply. We will only review the application once all the documents are received. In case the referee did not receive the referee form, you may resend the referee form to them via the system. The referees can upload a scanned copy of the written reference letter as supplementary information. The scanned copy of the written reference letter cannot be used to replace the online reference form.

3. Do I need to possess three (3) languages at the time of application/admission? 

All students must have three (3) languages, which include English and a 2nd and a 3rd language, in order to graduate. The 2nd language is one of the 25 CEMS languages; the 3rd language can be any language. Either of these languages is the mother tongue.

Students entering the program with only two (2) languages must study an equivalent of at least one term of introductory course of a third language at the home term of the MSc program and complete successfully before graduation. The third language is ideally outside the language family of the declared CEMS language other than English. For the second/third languages you have indicated, please supply copies of any documentation that will help prove that you are proficient in your chosen language (e.g. course papers, exam results).

Students already mastering more than two languages may continue to take the current MBC test in the third (or more) language. If they demonstrate capability, this will be formally recognized and included as an additional endorsement on their CEMS graduation certificate.

4. What are the CEMS languages?

The current CEMS Languages are: Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Czech, Danish, Dutch/Afrikaans, Farsi/Tajik, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Indonesian/Malay, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbo-Croat (Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, Montenegrin), Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese.

5. Which level should I attain for the 2nd/3rd language?

The 2nd language must be one of the 33 CEMS languages at intermediate level while the 3rd language should be at least at introductory level. Please check out the recognized language examinations at CEMS website: www.cems.org. 

6. What means of language proficiency proof will be accepted?

English proficiency and competence are assessed by a recent third-party certification (TOEFL/IELTS) or proof of university medium of instruction in English. Students will also need to complete a dedicated English medium Business Communication skill seminar during the MSc program.

For the means of language proof for the 2nd/3rd language can be accepted include: Secondary education, university degree, existing CEMS accredited courses, accredited commercial exams, in-house language exam at CEMS schools, European Management and Business Communication (MBC) test, or mother tongue. Students who do not possess or cannot provide valid language proof for the 3rd language are required to study a language course at the home term during the MSc program study.

7. Is a minimum GMAT/GRE score required for admission? 

We do not have a minimum score requirement but a GMAT score of 600 or above is preferred and a GRE score of 155 is preferred.

8. Can the GMAT/GRE requirement be waived? 

As applicants come from different academic backgrounds, different education institutions, and different countries of origin, the GMAT/GRE score allows us to assess these applicants’ academic ability for an international program. Extensive research also supports that it is a consistent measure reflecting how well an applicant will handle postgraduate studies, particularly on required courses.

9. I have not taken the GMAT/GRE yet. Should I submit the application? 

You could first submit your application and indicate in the application form your scheduled test date. You are advised to schedule GMAT/GRE within a month after the application deadline. An unofficial GMAT/GRE score report will be available right after the test and please upload the unofficial report into the online application system.

10. How long is my GMAT/GRE result valid for? 

Your GMAT/GRE result is valid for 5 years prior to the commencement of study.

11. Do I need to submit a TOEFL/IELTS score with my application? 

A TOEFL/IELTS score is required if your first language is not English and your degree or equivalent qualification was awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was not English.

12. Is a minimum TOEFL/IELTS score required for admission? 

For TOEFL, a score of 100 (Internet test) is preferred. For IELTS, a score of 7 is preferred.

13. How long is my TOEFL/IELTS result valid for? 

Your TOEFL/IELTS result is valid for 2 years prior to the commencement of study.

14. What is the Institution Code for HKUST for GMAT/GRE/TOEFL/IELTS?

GMAT- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - HKUST Business School, Other master's degree programs, Full-Time or Part-Time

GRE - 3834

TOEFL - 0170

IELTS - Name of department: Postgraduate Outreach and Admissions Team
           Name of institution: The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology 
           Address: Room 6418, Lift 25-26, Academic Building, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong (No postal code is required for Hong Kong)

Please note that applicant is not required to send in the score report during application. Instead, the Program Office will ask for the certified true copies when you are being admitted into the program.

15. I have more than two years of full-time work experience, will I have more advantage in being selected? 

The HKUST MIMT program is a pre-experience postgraduate degree program tailor-made for fresh graduates or those with no more than two years of full-time post-qualification work experience who possess multi-cultural aptitudes and aim to take up international leadership positions in their careers. Thus, applicants with more than two years of full-time work experience will not have an advantage in being selected and will be recommended to pursue other advanced studies.

We also recognize the vital importance of recruiting a diverse group of students who will both benefit from and contribute to the program. Rather than selecting candidates based on a preconceived formula like academic performance and work experience, students are selected on the basis of their potential for an international career, how they will interact with each other as a group, how the program matches their individual needs and objectives, and the extent to which they are driven by and embrace success.

16. Is a personal interview required?

Yes. A face-to-face interview will be arranged for shortlisted candidates residing in Hong Kong. Otherwise, video interviews via the Internet will be conducted. Phone interview requests are not accepted.

17. What do I need to take to the interview? 

If you are attending a face-to-face interview, you should bring along a personal identity document and the official certificate(s) of your degree/professional qualifications, in addition to any essential supporting documents that you have not provided to the Programs Office.

18. Is there any financial aid or scholarship for the program? 

Eligible candidates will be considered for scholarship. Student’s eligibility for the scholarship will be assessed after online application is submitted and interview is conducted on a case by case basis.


Campus Life

1. Is on-campus accommodation available? 

On-campus accommodation at HKUST is not available due to heavy demand. Students will have to explore short-term off-campus accommodation. The University’s Student Housing Office will help to explore information for short-term off-campus housing options for the exchange-in and non-local students.

2. Can I learn Mandarin (Putonghua) or Cantonese, or other languages at HKUST? 

The HKUST Language Centre offers various language courses, including Putonghua and Cantonese and also their Asian / European languages, throughout the year that students can join at an extra cost. These are optional courses and are not credit bearing.

3. Do I need a laptop for study? 

We strongly recommend that students have laptops. There are, however, several computer barns on campus equipped with over a hundred computers. Those who intend to buy a laptop can join the notebook ownership scheme on campus and purchase one at a discounted price for students, though it will take some time before the product can be picked up.

4. How far is the campus from the city center? 

The campus is just 10 minutes' ride away from the nearest Mass Transit Railway (MTR) station at Hang Hau. Supermarket, banks, bookstore and food outlets are also available on campus. The city center, Central, can be accessed by bus or minibus from campus within 45 minutes.



1. What is the M2M?

M2M is a partnership between HKUST Business School, FGV, HEC Paris, UBC Sauder and Yale SOM to create a suite of double degree opportunities for early career students. M2M aims to provide students opportunities to enrich their learning experience in their master studies, in which one year will be spent in their home school while another year in a partner school from another continent. Students graduating from this M2M partnership will be awarded two master degrees in two years.

2. Is there any advantage to applying simultaneously to the M2M program?

The advantage to apply simultaneously to your Year 1 and Year 2 program is that you will receive admission decisions and a financial aid determination earlier than if you applied consecutively to each program.

3. How does application to the M2M work?

Students interested in the M2M may apply simultaneously to their Year 1 (M1) and Year 2 (M2) programs. They will receive admission decisions and financial aid packages for both schools at the outset, allowing them to plan effectively for their next two years of academic study.

4. Do I have to submit separate application for both institutions?

Students should apply directly to M1 institution during application stage.

For instance, students who are interested in HKUST – Yale M2M, should apply directly to HKUST. And students who are interested in HEC Paris – HKUST M2M, should apply directly to HEC Paris.

The M2 institution will follow up with the applicants in completing the application procedures respectively.

5. Can current students/alumni of HKUST MIMT Program apply for the M2M program?

Yes. Current students/ alumni of MIMT Program are eligible to apply for the M2M program. And they can apply directly to Yale SOM. In addition, they will follow Yale’s MMS standalone application deadlines listed on their website. Please note that these are different from the M2M joint application deadlines.

6. I’m a current student from HEC MiM, can I apply for the M2M program at HKUST?

Yes. Please apply directly to the HKUST MIMT program through the University Application System. Please follow the application deadlines listed on the HKUST MIMT program website. Please note that these are different from the M2M joint application deadlines.

7. Can current students/alumni of HKUST MIMT Program apply for the M2M program?

Yes. Current students/ alumni of MIMT Program are eligible to apply for the M2M program. And they can apply directly to Yale SOM. In addition, they will follow Yale’s MMS standalone application deadlines listed on their website. Please note that these are different from the M2M joint application deadlines.

8. What is the work experience requirement for applying M2M?

The M2M program is intended for students immediately out of college or with less than three years of work experience. For HKUST MIMT program, we required students have no more than 2 years of full-time post-qualification work experience. For Yale MMS program, students are required to have full-time work or internship experience for at least 12 weeks. The internship or work experience does not need to be for a consecutive period of 12-week in one company.

Students are highly recommended to complete this requirement before joining HKUST MIMT Program. Students who cannot fulfill this requirement may lead one-year delay of the Yale MMS in GBS Program.

9. How much is the application fee for M2M?

For students who applied to HKUST – Yale M2M program, they will have to pay HKD500 application fee to HKUST and USD100 application fee to Yale respectively. For students who applied to HEC Paris – HKUST M2M program, they will have to pay EUR100 application fee to HEC Paris.

10. Is there any interview for the M2M?

Yes, students may have to join the admission interviews respectively by both institutions.

11. What is the tuition fee and expenses for M2M?

M2M students will pay the tuition tee of the institutions where they are in residence.

For M2M partnership between HKUST and Yale, the tuition fee for HKUST MIMT program of 2018/19 intake will be HKD 315,000 and the tuition fee for Yale MMS program will be USD 68,690.

For M2M partnership between HEC Paris and HKUST, the tuition fee for HEC Paris MiM program of 2018/19 intake will be EUR 24,500 and the tuition fee for HKUST MIMT program of 2019/20 intake will be HKD 315,000 (+5-10% adjustment which subject to University approval) .

Travelling and living expenses are not included in the tuition fee.

12. When will I know the M2M result? Will I receive both result at the same time?

Students will receive the admission result around one month after the interview. M2M institutions will announce admission result and issue offer to students separately.

13. Shall I have to pay the deposits for both institutions?

Yes, students being admitted into the M2M program are required to pay for the non-refundable deposit to both institutions. Students are required to settle the deposit for the M1 study first, while the deposit payment for the M2 study will be paid in a later stage.

14. Is there any financial aid or scholarship for M2M?

Eligible candidates will be considered for scholarship. Student’s eligibility for the scholarship or financial aid will be assessed independently by M2M institutions.

15. Is it possible to extend the length or defer in taking a gap year of my M2M study?

We normally do not encourage students to extend their length of study. Deferral request will be considered on a case-by-case basis and subject to the approval from the institution. Students will be allowed to defer their study for one year only.

16. If I was being admitted into the HKUST-Yale M2M program, what is the next step?

After you have paid the deposit to secure your offer of the M2M program, you are required to submit the documents for verification. It is the University policy to require students to send the true copy of the degree certificate, academic transcripts, and score reports to the Office of Postgraduate Studies (PGSO) for verification. If the students did not submit the relevant documents, PGSO will not allow the student to do the student registration.

Upon you finished the MIMT Program and fulfill the graduation requirements, Yale University will use ReVera (USD $100 fee charged to candidate) for document verification.